Thursday, May 29, 2014

Knit A Long

I think it's time that we do a store Knit-a-long (KAL). There was some debate in my mind so I asked a few questions on Facebook. The overwhelming response was to have everyone make the same pattern.

My pattern choice is

In case you missed my post last week, here is Kim's Auburn Wave. She used 2 skeins of tosh merino light on 4mm needles.

She loves it so much that she is planning her next one.

Yarn ideas - this is an endless list but here are some suggestions. For the fingering weight (sock weight) yarns use a 3.5mm-4mm needle. For the sport weight yarns use a 4mm-4.5mm needle. The sport weight yarns will also give you a bigger scarf/shawl. If you choose a thicker yarn then you will need to adjust the needle sizes appropriately.

Mrs. Crosby
-Satchel
-Hat Box
-Train Case

Zen Yarn Garden
-Serenity Sock (20, Silk or Glitter)

madelinetosh
-sock
-merino light
-dandelion
-pashmina
-sport

Rowan
-Fine Art 

Prism
-Saki

Mountain Colors
-Bearfoot

Lorna's Laces
-Shepherd Sock
-Solemate
-Sportmate
-Shepherd Sport

Dream in Color
-Smooshy with Cashmere
-Everlasting Sock

Blue Sky Alpacas
-Metalico
-Alpaca Silk

Here are the rules 

-the pattern has to be purchased on Ravelry - we don't have printed copies of the pattern in the store

-anyone can participate but to win prizes (more on that as the KAL gets going) we ask a few things of you 

       -you are a resident of Canada
     -when you finish the shawl email me a picture of you or someone you love wearing the shawl along with the name of the yarn and colour that you used
     -I would like permission to show your pictures on the blog and I will include your first name but no other information about you
     -If you would like to share pictures as you go please send them to me
     -I will start a thread in The Needle Emporium group on Ravelry and you can post pictures there as well

-the start date is now and let's make the finish date Tuesday, June 30.

2 comments:

Gail said...

Thanks Julie. I had purchased 2 skeins of Mrs. Crosby and had not made a final decision on the shawl. This one is beautiful. I will start now and try to keep up but have other projects on the go and may not meet the finish time.
Gail

Carol aka jerushae said...

Hi Julie
Thanks for putting up this KAL. I like that pattern but won't be able to do it by the end of the month. I have to spin the yarn yet. I have been working toward fingering weight Merino which would be perfect for this. I'll share a couple of my projects on Ravelry to show you what I mean. So thank you for showing me this pattern.
Carol aka jerushae on Ravelry